School Admissions Residency

School Admission/Residency - POLICY 5118

The Dudley-Charlton Regional School Committee adopts the following policy and guidelines (“Requirements for Admission to the Dudley-Charlton Regional School District ”) regarding the residency and admissions of students to the Dudley-Charlton Regional School District. The staff is directed to ensure that all forms and regulations are fully executed and conform to this policy.

Only students who actually reside in the town of either Dudley or Charlton may attend the Dudley-Charlton Regional School District schools. “Residence” is a place where a person actually lives. Unless expressly permitted under the approved guidelines, temporary residence in the town of either Dudley or Charlton solely for the purpose of attending the Dudley-Charlton Regional School District schools is not considered “residence” for admission to the district schools.

In determining residency, the Dudley-Charlton Regional School Committee retains the right to require the production of a variety of records and documentation and to investigate where a student actually resides. Students found to be in violation of the residency policy may be dismissed immediately from the Dudley-Charlton Regional School District and the parent(s), guardian(s) or responsible adult may be jointly and severally liable to the Dudley-Charlton Regional School District for the student’s tuition for the full academic year(s). The Dudley-Charlton Regional School District may also impose other penalities on the family such as legal fees incurred by legal action and the withholding of certain scholarships and prizes. A parent, legal guardian, or student who has reached the age of majority (18), who is aggrieved by a determination of residency, may appeal the determination to the superintendent of schools, whose decision shall be final.


The School Secretary will obtain biographical information.
The parent or guardian will sign a release allowing the sending school to provide the receiving Dudley-Charlton district school with records.
Student/parent(s) meet with a counselor (and Team Chair in case of an I.E. P.) In the case of a student in the custody of DSS or DYS students, a meeting is required with the caseworker and the Team Chairperson for a student with special needs.
Upon receipt of all records and review by appropriate personnel, an admission decision will be made.
The Secretary will call the home and arrange for the student to start school.