- Sign-Up Procedure
- Student Costs
- Classroom Procedure
- Attendance Policy
- Classroom Requirement
- To Start Driving Segment
- Driving Segment Requirement
The sign-up procedure may occur as soon as the class syllabus is posted. In order to participate in the classroom segment a student must be at least 15 yrs and 9 months of age. Sign-up occurs by submitting a check payable to the DCRSD for 50% of the total cost of the Driver Education Course ($265), which serves as a deposit to hold your place in the class. The remaining balance is due prior to the start of In-Car Instruction.
Complete a Registration Form & Sign-up information and check may be brought or mailed to the SHRHS office where it will be directed to the Driver Education Office. Student must also include SHRHS student I.D. number, full name and middle initial, legibly printed, address and telephone number, date of birth. Student’s name, including middle initial, should also be printed on the check.
There will be an assessment of $25 for any checks returned for insufficient funds
- $530 is the cost of the classroom and In-Car instruction (must be 15 yrs and 9 months to participate in the D.E. classroom portion of the SHRHS Driver Ed. Program); check payable to the Dudley-Charlton Regional School District (DCRSD). This is due, paid in full, prior to the start of the in-car instruction.
- $35 is the cost for any additional driving hour beyond the "program specified 12 hours".
- $15 check payable to ’Mass DOT’ and submitted to the Drivers Ed Instructor when student completes ’On Road Instruction’; Student’s Instructor will submit the check along with the student’s completed program card to the SHRHS D.E. Program office. The payment of $15 is forwarded along with the application to the RMV for the process of certifying that the student is now eligible for the Road Test.
- $60 check payable to the DCRSD which covers the cost of using the SHRHS D.E. vehicle and instructor, if the student chooses to take the Road Test with Shepherd Hill. Student will inform the Instructor upon completion of the ’On Road Instruction’ their choice of scheduling and taking Road Test with own family or SHRHS. This check must be submitted to the Drivers Ed Instructor when student completes ‘On Road Instruction’. Student’s Instructor will submit the check along with the student’s completed program card to the SHRHS D.E. Program office. (student’s name must be printed on check)
- $85 is the fee that must be paid to the "Mass DOT", which is the cost of your license and the RMV's Road Test fee ($50 for the license, $35 for the Road Test). This fee should be paid prior to the day of the "Road Test" by simply calling the RMV (617-351-4500) and paying with a credit/debit card or in person.
- Sign-in on classroom sign-in sheet with an ink pen, next to your printed name.
- Classes will begin at scheduled start time, no students admitted after start time.
- Materials: must have an ink pen for record-keeping, must be signed in ink (will be tested daily).
- Please keep talking to a minimum - we have a lot of material to cover.
- Restroom, one at a time, wait for the person to return, leave and return quietly.
- Break time: we will have a 15 minute break whenever class session is more than two hours.
- Any student who is suspended, In-House or
, shall not be allowed to attend Driver Education Classes or Driving Lessons while serving the suspension. Out-of School
The Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV) requires 30 hours of classroom instruction.
- If you miss a class, you are responsible for making up the class time during the next SHRHS Driver Education classroom session. **for example: If you are absent from the fourth class (class #4), you must make up the absence by attending class #4 at the next classroom session. There will be approximately five classroom sessions held throughout the calendar year.
- If a student is absent from a class for a third time (3 absences), that student will be dismissed from that Driver Education Course Session and may enroll in another Driver Education Course Session in the future.
- Must complete all classroom requirements.
- Must have paid in full the Driver Ed. Course fee of $530.
- Parent / Guardian must have attended the required two hour session.
- Must have completed and submitted signed Parent/Guardian Consent form.
- Must have your Learners Permit.
- Provided all requirements are complete, students will be selected to drive based on the earliest Learners Permit date of issue.
- Must complete 6 hours of in-car observation.
- Must complete 12 hours of behind the wheel driving.
- In-car sessions will not exceed two hours, generally, the first six sessions will consist of one hour of observation and one hour of driving. The final three sessions will consist of two hours of driving. Driving sessions will be arranged between the instructor and student at mutually agreed upon times.