College Application Process and Information
SHRHS COLLEGE APPLICATION GUIDELINES
COUNSELORS HAVE BEGUN MEETING WITH SENIORS IN ADVISORIES TO DISCUSS THE PROCESS
IF YOU ARE APPLYING EARLY ADMISSIONS OR EARLY DECISION... PLEASE STOP IN TO SEE YOUR GUIDANCE COUNSELOR RIGHT AWAY.
BEFORE YOU BEGIN to fill out the applications (paper or online):
1. Submit your Senior Transcript Information Sheet (pdf) (link) to Mrs. Starkus (Guidance Secretary) at least two weeks before you begin any applications. Microsoft Word version available at the bottom of this page.
2. Complete the Senior Recommendation Letter Information Sheets (pdf) (link) and submit it to your counselor. You will give one copy of this form to each person you ask to write a recommendation. Microsoft Word version available at the bottom of this page.
3. Request letters of recommendation (WELL IN ADVANCE OF YOUR DUE DATES, 2 weeks prior is a minimum) from two teachers and/or coach and/or employer.
4. Ask your guidance counselor for a recommendation if one is required (one is needed for the Common Application).
FILLING OUT PAPER APPLICATIONS:
NOTE: This work must be completed at least two weeks prior to the application deadline – YOU are responsible for knowing your deadlines.
Please keep these approximate guidelines in mind:
Early Decision October 14 Early Action October 14
Regular Admissions December1
A word regarding deadlines - as a rule, it is not in your best interest to wait until the end of a deadline window to apply to a college. Programs can fill quickly and financial aid availability may be effected as well. Also, State Universities and Colleges are currently experiencing a significantly increased number of applicants.
1. Remember to spell
2. Shepherd Hill Regional High School's CEEB # is 220698 (For SAT and ACT)
3. Be sure to fill out ALL of information on the application
4. Be sure that your and/or your parents sign the application
5. Enclose the college application fee:
Make the check payable to the college (do NOT send cash)
Write your Social Security number on the check
6. Make copies of your essays
7. Have your official SAT scores sent to the college from College Board (colleges only consider them official if sent by the College Board). Make the request at sat.collegeboard.com/scores There is a $10 fee and a $29 fee for rush requests and a credit card is required.
8. Have your ACT scores sent to the college from actstudent.org/scores/send/
There is also a fee for this transaction and a credit card is required.
9. Bring your completed materials to your guidance counselor.
FILLING OUT APPLICATIONS ONLINE:
Set aside at least 30 minutes to complete the application and have these items on hand:
Your social security number
A list of your activities and/or awards
A credit card to pay the application fee (Some schools will waive the processing fee if you apply online). If you do are not able to pay online, you must bring a check or money order payable to the college and it will be sent with your official transcript.
If an essay is needed, you will likely be asked to “paste” it onto your online application
ONCE YOU HAVE COMPLETED AN ONLINE APPLICATION
1. Your guidance counselor must send an official high school transcript and any letters of reference that may be needed. You must sign a release with your counselor. Your online application is incomplete until an official transcript is sent.
2. Send your official SAT and/or ACT scores as explained above in # 8 and #9.