Calculation Formulas (Honor Roll, National Honor Society, GPA)
How to Calculate Honor Roll
The Shepherd Hill Honor Roll is computed at the end of each marking period. Honor roll is calculated based on a student’s numerical averages in their courses. Independent Studies, no credit-classes (such as music assistant) and ¼ classes (PE and health) are not included. The following table applies.
- If the average is 92 or greater, the student earned First Honors.
- If the average is 89 or greater (but below a 92), the student earned Second Honors.
- If the average is 85 or greater (but below an 89), the student earned Recognition.
- The overall average will not be rounded up.
- A student may not have a grade lower than C- (69) for honors consideration.
How to Calculate National Honor Society Eligibility
The Shepherd Hill National Honor Society is also computed at the end of each marking period. To be eligible for NHS membership a student must maintain a cumulative average of 3.5.
The following scale is utilized: A+ = 4.3, A = 4.0, A- = 3.6, B+ = 3.3, B = 3.0, B- = 2.6, C+ = 2.3, C = 2.0, C- = 1.6. Add up the values for each class, and divide by the total number of grades. Independent Studies, no-credit classes (such as music assistant) and ¼ classes (P. E. and health) are not included.
How to Calculate Grade Point Average
Please click the PDF link below to access the formula to calculate the GPA. The GPA is a weighted, cumulative system.