- Sign-Up Procedure
- Student Costs
- Classroom Procedure
- Attendance Policy
- Classroom Requirement
- To Start Driving Segment
- Driving Segment Requirement
The sign-up procedure may occur as soon as the class syllabus is posted. In order to participate in the classroom segment a student must be at least 15 yrs and 9 months of age. Sign-up occurs by submitting a check payable to the DCRSD for 50% of the total cost of the Driver Education Course ($275), which serves as a deposit to hold your place in the class. The remaining balance is due prior to the start of In-Car Instruction.
Completed Registration Form & check may be brought or mailed to the SHRHS office.
There will be an assessment of $25 for any checks returned for insufficient funds
- $550 is the cost of the classroom and In-Car instruction (must be 15 yrs and 9 months to participate in the D.E. classroom portion of the SHRHS Driver Ed. Program); check payable to the Dudley-Charlton Regional School District (DCRSD). This is due, paid in full, prior to the start of the in-car instruction.
- $35 is the cost for any additional driving hour beyond the "program specified 12 hours".
- $15 check payable to ’Mass DOT’ and submitted to the Drivers Ed Instructor when student completes ’On Road Instruction’. This is the certification fee required by the DOT.
- $60 check payable to the DCRSD which covers the cost of using the SHRHS D.E. vehicle and instructor, if the student chooses to take the Road Test with Shepherd Hill.
- $85 is the fee that must be paid to the "Mass DOT", which is the cost of your license and the RMV's Road Test fee ($50 for the license, $35 for the Road Test). This fee should be paid prior to the day of the "Road Test" by simply calling the RMV (617-351-4500) and paying with a credit/debit card or in person.
- Sign-in on classroom sign-in sheet with an ink pen, next to your printed name.
- Classes will begin at scheduled start time, no students admitted after start time.
- Materials: must have a black or blue ink pen for record-keeping, must be signed in ink (will be tested daily).
- Please keep talking to a minimum - we have a lot of material to cover.
- Restroom, one at a time, wait for the person to return, leave and return quietly.
- Break time: we will have a 15 minute break whenever class session is more than two hours.
- Any student who is suspended, In-House or
, shall not be allowed to attend Driver Education Classes or Driving Lessons while serving the suspension. Out-of School
The Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV) requires 30 hours of classroom instruction.
- If you miss a class, you are responsible for making up the class time during the next SHRHS Driver Education classroom session. **for example: If you are absent from the fourth class (class #4), you must make up the absence by attending class #4 at the next classroom session. There will be approximately five classroom sessions held throughout the calendar year.
- If a student is absent from a class for a third time (3 absences), that student will be dismissed from that Driver Education Course Session and may enroll in another Driver Education Course Session in the future.
- Must complete all classroom requirements.
- Must have paid in full the Driver Ed. Course fee of $550.
- Parent / Guardian must have attended the required two hour session.
- Must have completed and submitted signed Parent/Guardian Consent form.
- Must have your Learners Permit.
- Provided all requirements are complete, students will be selected to drive based on the earliest Learners Permit date of issue.