School Cancellations and Delays
How is the decision made?
- Road conditions -- careful consideration is given to roads in the district with the most hazardous conditions. Even if your street looks clear, travel elsewhere in the towns may be dangerous. Also, we must consider that a majority of our high school students drive to school.
- The existing accumulation of snow and/or ice.
- The rate and expected duration of the precipitation.
- School parking lot conditions. School building conditions (such as electricity and heat).
- Weather predictions.
- We also consult officials from other districts and speak to our highway superintendents and police.
Who makes the decision?
The superintendent of schools is responsible for the final decision, based on the above factors and recommendations from the highway department and police department.
When is the decision made?
The goal is to make the decision by 5:30 a.m., or earlier so that the radio and TV stations can be notified. The District also notifies families via our OneCallNow and EdAlert notification systems.
How is the public notified?
- ABC - Channel 5
- FOX - Channel 6
- NBC - Channel 7
- WSRS 96.1
- WTAG 580/94.9
District Notification Systems: